Tuesday, May 6, 2008

Parley P. Pratt and the Book of Mormon Video

Parley P. Pratt was one of the original members of the Quorum of the Twelve Apostles of the Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. As the video describes, Parley felt prompted to leave his farm and his belongings to preach the gospel. On his journey in 1830, he came across a copy of the Book of Mormon, which had just been published a couple months earlier.

He later recalled:

“I read all day; eating was a burden, I had no desire for food; sleep was a burden when the night came, for I preferred reading to sleep."

After recognizing the authenticity of the Book of Mormon, the restored priesthood authority, and the truthfulness of the Restoration, Parley P. Pratt was baptized into the Church of Jesus Christ on September 1, 1830 by Oliver Cowdery. Parley baptized his younger brother, Orson Pratt, just a couple weeks later on September 19. Orson also served in the original Quorum of the Twelve Apostles.

Together the Pratt brothers became two of the most prolific writers in the early Mormon Church, publishing dozens of books, pamphlets and tracts. They served numerous missions in the United States, in Europe, and even in South America.

Parley P. Pratt was murdered in 1857 at the age of 50 and Orson Pratt died in 1881 at the age of 70.

Have you ever read a book that you preferred to food and sleep?



9 comments:

Kelly said...

This video came out while I was serving as a missionary. We used it with our investigators.

I have a copy of it.

After my mission I married a decendent of Parley Pratt.

Trestin Meacham said...

I added your Channel and blog to my blogrole.

Märta said...

I would very much like to find the original source of the Growth of the Church video I believe you posted to You Tube. I have searched for 2 days to try and find it on a LDS Church site, to no avail. Can you please help me ASAP? I would like to share it Sunday in a lesson on the Organization and Destiny of the Church.

Thank you!
smile-adventures@msn.com

lds9999 said...

If you're near a distribution center (or if it's in the ward library), there is a 3 DVD Church History set. That video is on the 3rd disc.

Märta said...

Thank you! I am in St. George, Utah, and we have a distribution store here, I will go in tomorrow! Thank you! Thank you!

Märta said...

Ooops. I don't think you caught that I was searching for the "Growth of the Mormon Church 2007" video which you posted to You Tube. I went to Distribution today, and bought the CD's you mentioned, but the map of the world video with the lights for each stake as it spreads across the world through 2007 is not on it. There is a "Church in Action 1981 - 1985" segment, but that is slightly outdated now. Please help me find it - on the youtube portion it has a note a the beginning that says you can download it from lds.org, but I have searched and searched. Please HELP ME!

Märta said...

I forgot to check the box asking to have follow-up comments sent to me. Please respond to this email regarding the "Stakes of Zion" video through 2007 so I get a message that you saw my request.

Thank you so much!

lds9999 said...

I'm sorry, I have a number of videos on Youtube related to the growth of the Church, so I wasn't sure which one you meant. The one you are talking about you can find at:

http://www.lds.org/videos

You can download it there.

Märta said...

Perfect! Perfect! Thank you!